Locks and Windows Inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Default Locks and Windows Inoperable

When I unlocked my 97 Cabrio using the key from the outside, there was some difficulty, then the locks went up. Then all the windows went down. Now, nothing works. Windows won't go back up (of course it's freezing out) and locks don't work either. (Not that there would be a point of locking it with all 4 windows down)

As Paul Sr. would say. Any idears?

PS. Just so there's no confusion, car stays parked in heated garage so problem isn't temperature related.

PSS. Just tested fuses with power on. No power to 1.2.3.7.8.10.11.12.18
Unfortunately, according to manual, automatic window fuse is 15 Amp in slot 6, and it appears fine. So what the heck?

Okay, for anyone curious, I went to AutoZone and had them pull the codes. Nothing. So, I went to a VW dealership and talked with a mechanic. He said it was probably a broken door latch so I came home and found this video http://www.doorlockrepair.org/vw-a3-...ck-repair-diy/

After watching it, I removed handle and found it broken just like the one in the video. I was then able to operate the windows using a screwdriver inserted into slot where latch would normally go. So, window motors are fine and I'm waiting for repair kit to come in tomorrow. Total cost - 55 bucks. About 250 if you want to just buy a new latch and not bother with the kit.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM

The problem is in the door handle, there is a small metal device that turns the locking mechanism. This again is a small item and you can not buy it buy it's self. You have to buy a new handle assembly which is very inexpensive, around $25.00 tax and shipping. There is one screw that holds the handle in place. In trouble shooting this with the handle out, with a screw driver you can turn the locking mechanism and the windows will go up and down. once I replaced the handle this would not happen. hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM

Yep, I've already replaced both door latches and everything works fine now. When it broke, the key was turned to the right so it was stuck in that position, constantly sending a signal to lower the windows and over-riding all the other controls.

It actually wasn't that difficult. The hardest part was getting the door handle back on. Each kit cost $55 bucks though, not $25, but I did purchase the kits from a VW dealership.