interchangeable parts?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Default interchangeable parts?

I was wondering if a golf or jetta fog light will fit in to my Cabrio, if so what years? because Cabrios are so rare around here the JY doesn't have any. Also is there an antenna that i could swap in too? I know its a convertible and its gonna be louder than most cars, but is there any good cheep way to keep wind noise down at 75-80mph? The cruise control does not work at all, i tested everything all the inputs and output tested fine, i tested the Vac stuff, everything works well but the computer (cruise control modual). i did some reasearch and it said a relay inside the computer goes bad fairly often, the contacts get some corrosion, and replacing the cruise control modual would fix it. I know its a lot of questions, Thanks alot

Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM

I can only comment on the AM-FM antenna for the 1999 Cabrio.
Inshort, what a piece of junk.
Ok, that aside. I have had to replace the antenna rod once. The rubber does not hold up and rots away then the metal spring will rust and eventually break.
If the base is good, you can find a replacement antenna pretty cheap.
RECENTLY I had noticed the base, which is made primarily of RUBBER, was cracking. You'd think they would hold together but not the case. Not long after, the antenna base was falling apart. Obviously, replacement means taking the radio out. The radio in the 1999 Cabrio is fragile and using those keys to release it can/will crack the radio plastic and it will fall apart. Been there, Done that!!!
I suggest trying to make a repair. If the antenna rod is in decent shape and the rubber is starting to crack, get some 1/2" shrink wrap tubing, used for electrical connections. Cover from the base of the rubber to the mid of the top angle of the rubber. Add heat to shrink to size. If you have rubber missing, try to fill in with silicone adhesive, let cure, then add heat shrink.
The base needs something stronger than Silicone sealant, though for temp, it will work. I used a product used to repair/seal soft top material. Called STORMSURE. This comes from the UK but any rubber sealant should work.
My antenna base was falling apart but I had all the pieces. I used the STORMSURE to attach the peices. I had to use tape to hold it all together and in shape because the rubber had misformed. Let this go overnight and for a touch more of strength, I cut a peice of rubber sheet to fit over the outside of the antenna base, and attatched it with STORMSURE. Tape to position to hold the shape. The next day the tape was removed and the base looked almost OEM.
The antenna will be stiffer with the shrink wrap on but it should hold together better. At least you will get some extended time from it.

I just recently changed out the soft top so I can tell you the wind noise problem is somewhat controllable.
The seals are all very basic but the seals around the door windows don't have much adjustment if any. Same with above the windshield. I was looking at the front of the top where it seals to the windshield frame. I am not sure if you can or should try to bend the bar but you may be able to add a thin strip of foam to help seal.

Enjoy your Cabrio, they are a hoot.