Ever have that driver door handle come loose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Default Ever have that driver door handle come loose?

The bottom pivit point for the driver inside door handle broke so I had a time getting the door to open from the inside.
I admit, I didn't check to see what it cost. My mechanic said you have to purchase the entire door panel which was out of the question. So I fought this for about a year and I finally decided to see if I could fix it myself.

All you have to do is pull the cover off of the driver door armrest. The door handle comes into full view.
What I found was the door handle has a couple of slots top and bottom that slide over a pivit point or nub that is in a black cheap plastic piece. My door had a section of the bottom of this black plastic broken off. This peice just happened to include the nub the door handle attaches to. So that was the problem, now a fix.

The plastic piece goes back into the door about an inch. So I cut a piece of metal ( stiff aluminum) to fit all the way back and into the front a bit for glue strength. You really can't use any screws because the plastic won't hold and the door panel is not a strong plastic. The piece I cut was about 5/8 x 1 1/2". I found at ACE in the fastener section what is called a standoff. It is aluminum, can get it in most any length and width. The outside surface is smooth, which is what we want to limit any further damage. It will fasten with a small screw through the aluminum piece.

Becareful determining where the original nub had been and mark it on the aluminum, drill the hole and install the standoff. You'll need to put the glue ( use a good strong permanent glue, if this breaks again you will need to rebuild the black plastic piece) on the bottom of the aluminum piece where it will meet the black plastic, pull out the handle and insert the stand off into the handle slot and push it all in place and hold down for the glue to be applied. I let it dry over night and tried it in the morning and it was as good as new..... Well, as good as fixed new.

I did not persue looking to see if that black piece was replaceable, I went by the mechanics world but it looks like it is an add on to the door panel so maybe..............????

This was pretty easy, just time consuming but the result made me really happy.

If you have the problem with the door handle inside not working, remember the handle itself only has the slots. the nubs that it turns on are molded into the black plastic, and if that breaks, that is what you have to fix. Actually easier than I thought.

Good luck.