Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Default Convertible top

So this is probably a dumb question but I am new to the idea of driving around a convertible. My old ragtop is super old and fragile and it needs replaced. However, I do not have the money to buy the whole replacement kit for it. Is it possible to just get the top vinyl and not have the insulation and headliner to save some money? I am cheap and just want something that won't get me wet in the rain like the current top I have. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Replacing the top is a well known discussion here.
IF you have the vinyl top on your Cabrio, I can give you some ideas.
YES, you can get just the vinyl top. The scrap yards offer used tops but having gone through the process of installing one, I can't imagine what condition that top would be in when you get it and it is already weathered, if you go that route, you better get it really cheap.
... MY vinyl top was 15 years old when it just came apart. LITERALLY!!
The shop said I had a good run with it, they don't usually last that long.
Repair is probably not a good thought. First the material is shrinking, brittle and will rip easily. They say if you treat your top, it may remain more plyable longer, I did treat it but I was at least a second owner so I have no idea what the previous owner(s) had done and it came from Florida.
.. .So lets talk repair... If you do repair, it will be termporary at best and will never look as good as the original install. You can't put too much tension on the old vinyl or it will rip, disintegrate seems to be a better term. You would also most likely need to reinforce the old brittle vinyl with some old jeans material underneath.
Find a sealant that you think will do the job, plenty of them on youtube show you different brands.
You will need some tape to try to hold the top together while you make the repair underneath. NOW I WILL SAY THIS UP FRONT.... If you REPAIR the old top, I would NOT put it down because you may rip it some more, Mine was brittle at this point and one day it just ripped where it folded in the down position.
... If I remember right, the replacement top from a top maker, not VW is about $600 to $700. And if you install it yourself, find the instructions how to do it on this forum. The instruction actually varies from different years but they will get you in the ball park. It will take you 4-6 hours to take the old top off. PAY ATTENTION HOW IT WAS INSTALLED and follow the steps exactly as listed. Don't take any short cuts or you will really be in a pickle. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENION how the vinyl is shaped to drain water out of the car beside each rear seat back on EACH SIDE. You get this wrong during install and you will have water in the car.
You should be done removing the old top by 1:00 pm if you started early in the morning.
... Not all tops are the same, the new replacements come with the rear glass already in the top.
You will also find that the cut may or may not be the same as the top you remove, mine was not exact, but was able to make it fit.
Again, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY and you will be ok.
The window seals may be a problem. They come off really easily, just pull them off. PAY ATTENTION HOW THEY ARE IN THE TRACK because you have to replace them exactly the same.... To replace them, you must slide them into the track, you cannot pop them back in by just pushing them in. And use plenty of soap to slide the window seal into the track.
... The instructions are on this forum and I think there are some also listed on youtube. I don't recommend just tearing the top off and trying to put it on your own way... There is a reason why VW charges so much money to put that top on the car.

good luck

Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 AM

Same problem here buy yah, thank you for the advice that I can get the vinyl top. I'll try to experiment then.