99 VW Cabrio soft top - info

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Default 99 VW Cabrio soft top - info

Hi all. My Cabrio has the original vinyl top and the other day it started to do the splits. One split on each side over the doors about 6 " long.

Obviously, putting it down is now a cautious thing so not to tear it anymore.
TEMP FIXES??? Ok so there is something out there called STORMSURE. A rather expensive stuff like silicone only much stronger and holds better, I am told. Since the tears is right where the top folds, I want to try to reinforce it with cloth and this STORMSURE and see if I can get it through the rest of this year.

TOP REPLACEMENT.
If you have not had to consider replacement, this is where you have to do your homework. You are going to be told a whole lot of things, what you can use, what you can't use. So here is what I understand about the tops.

They are going to throw a lot of years at you and only some sites actually reference them.
1995 to 2000. These are the Cabrio tops with the rubber window frame on/in the top. They have to be cut in after the top has been installed in the car. This is about the easiest explanation you will get. Now we get interesting.

1995 to 2001. Careful. Mid year VW changed the style of the top in 2001. I think the dealers are confused and will tell you 2001 will not fit a 95-2000. This is not correct. It is the same mounting to the car for the full year. In MID 2001, VW changed the mounting of the rear glass. They started sealing the glass to the top material so you get the glass with the top. It is Backward compatible.

2002. This will be the same as the 2nd half year 2001 top. The window comes with the top sealed into the material. Some will tell you it won't fit. Again, it is backward compatible.

Another question I had was are the vinyl and cloth tops interchangeable? And I am told yes, same mounting and the cloth should be more durable.

Obviously, the top with the rear glass sealed into the material will cost a little more ( glass ).

All this was a day long search for information about the tops and I was told everything you can imagine. finally one installer called his supplier and that was where the back word compatible issue was cleared up.

However, I believe in measuring TWICE so if you are looking for a top, ask and make sure they agree the top is backward compatible to your model. that will keep the warrentee good with no arguments.

Just what I found out, good luck but honestly, hope you never have to deal with a top failure. It is about a 12 hour install job if you do it yourself and I think I found the instructions in this forum. complete removal and install.

good luck

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 AM

Hello folks.
I ended up getting a replacement top. My vinyl top was 16 years old and was literally falling apart.
Be careful when selecting the replacement. I suppose we don't have a lot of choice with after market and seeking a lower price but there are a couple of companies out there.
I have installed the new top, when they say it isn't for the faint of heart, take them for their word.
The top is trimmed a little different to better fit the Cabrio, minor changes. My only gripe was the rain diverter that goes behind the rear windows. It's job is to catch any water from the rear windows or the tray that goes around under the rear top channel, and divert the water to the drain. This new diverter does not seem to be cut quite right and I don't think it lays properly in the compartment. I may have to go back and put additional material to divert the water drainage to the drain.

The top I bought had a window factory sealed in the top. This made it interesting trying to thread the rear of the top into that aluminum channel. Going around the corner with the material pulling and the glass not bending made for an interesting time. You will work at this one. Do note that there was no resistance due to the aluminum channel against the top material. The resistance was all top material and the stiff glass.

I chose the top with the glass because my defroster only has 2 lines that still work. The old top is for the 1999 Cabrio OEM glass and frame, old style that is stapled to the top to the frame.
Now that the top is in, the glass is available with the frame. If someone has broken a rear glass. It is perfect other than the defroster is unavailable, well all but 2 lines are not working.
If interested you can contact me at IceUniversity ( at ) InBox ( dot ) Com

One other thing I want to mention about the install... is putting the window rubber seals back in. Now I was in a hurry with a storm coming toward me, I could see the dark clouds in the sky as they got near. I couldn't get the rubber seals to get into their channels no matter what. I did get them in temporary before the rain hit.
The next day, I looked closer to the rubber seals and the channels. The easiest way is to mate them, like a puzzle, at the end of the channel, and using something to make the rubber slippery, push the rubber seal down the channel. You won't be able to just push them on like on some cars. You have to mate them at the end, like a puzzle piece then slide them together. It helps to pay attention to the ends when you take them off because only one end will slide on, the other is blocked to seal against the second window seal.

Now that this is done I am appreciating all the hard work that went into putting this top on. I probably saved about $1000 doing it myself but you pay for it in sweat equity.
DO NOT attempt this without any instructions to disassemble or assemble the tops. The new tops do not come with any paperwork and as I said, the new top has some changes that do not match the old tops. PAY PARTICULARY ATTENTION to how the rubber material is laid out for the drain, just under the passenger rear window, next to the seat back. My new top has material there but it does not lay out like the OEM did and I think I will be adding something to help divert any water to the drain area.

I believe I found the instructions on this forum with pics, otherwise, search the web.

TIMEWISE, I started about 7am and didn't finish until dinner time.

I don't want to scare anyone off, if you can read instructions, and are somewhat handy with tools, you can do this but it can get intense in certain areas. Just know you will be tied up for most the day.

If you choose to do your own install, take your time, read the instructions a couple times first and take breaks, you'll need them.
Good luck.