'86 cabrio starter/coil wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Default '86 cabrio starter/coil wiring

I have an 86 Cabrio in which I've replaced the engine. I've got just about everything hooked back up, but there are a couple wires that for the life of me I can't find. The connections on the new engine are the same as the old. The two terminals I can't find wires for are on the starter solenoid and on the body of the distributor.
The distributor terminal is not any of the plug wires - those are all there - but there's a terminal coming out the side of it. The starter solenoid connection is what I'm guessing is a ground - it's directly opposite the + black/red cable coming from the ignition switch (not one of the connections to the battery).

My dad has an '80 Rabbit, and comparing the connections on his, he has a green wire running directly from the ignition coil to the distributor terminal, and the sleeve that his red/black cable for the solenoid comes out in also has a green wire along with it. In my car, instead of wires going directly to the solenoid and distributor, there is a red/black and green cable in a U-shaped plastic connector that connects to the ignition coil, and both wires disappear into the firewall, and appear to connect to the ignition control unit.
Both in my car and my dad's car, these connect to what I think is terminal 15 on the ignition coil. The manual says that the terminal in question on the starter coil (terminal 15a on the starter coil) should be connected to terminal 15 on the ignition coil, and I can't find any reference to the wire on the distributor.

I can't find any wires nearby that would connect to either of these - any ideas as to where to look for them? I took pictures beforehand, but not enough of them, so I don't know where to look.