2001 new to me Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Talking 2001 new to me Cabrio

Hi Gang,
I just got a 132k 2.0 engine Cabrio today, 5 speed. Seller was a fantastic guy from the Citadel in Charleston SC selling on his girlfriends behalf. Drove it home over 70 miles and noticed a few things to pick your collective VW brain about. My background is very strong both electrically and mechanically: aircraft, automotive and marine. Here is what I have:
1. The power locking system is inop. Backlighting on the buttons with the headlights on is fine but no red blinkys at the lock *****...I locked the drivers door manually but the other lock did not actuate.
2. The cruise is inop. Is there an indicator in the dash when the sytem is on? (same fuse as the power locks perhaps??)
3. A/C needs recharge. Are there any typical fail points in this car regarding the A/C?
4. Idled fine on the 30 minute test drive but I did notice a light skip upon arriving back home. No smoke noted but it was dark. No smells. No leaks, or check engine light (comes on at crank of course). Coil or wires perhaps??
5. T-belt and water pump where changed at 120k. Anthing else I need to look at for long term 100 mile daily commute?
6. Prolly going to need a clutch as it's at the top of the pedal on release and will slip if I push it. Had a fine ride so it will go for now. When the clutch is apart should I be looking at the crank and trans seals for oil leaks? Is this a typical issue like my old Corvairs??
7. The passenger window will not move though I hear the motor barely make a noise when either front door button is pressed. The other 3 windows work fine.

Other than that I am delighted with the car. Locks arent' an issue but I would like it to be reliable for my new job 50 miles out from home. Fantastic gas mileage on the hwy with this 11 year old car!
I would like to get an owners manual or service manual if you guys have them on PDF. Thanks very much!!!
Regards
Mike T-Beaufort SC
PS: I'd like to get a shifter boot in black and the rear tow hook bumper cover plate if you folks have a good source!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM

UPDATE: Found the owners manual in the trunk. Would still like some intel on the clutch issue regarding crank and trans seals. Other than that it's pretty much nailed down!
Thanks
Mike Trimmier-Beaufort SC

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM

not a lot of traffic here I take it....

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

congrats on the new cabrio!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM

now the windows are all down and wont' go up. rolled them down for a trip yesterday and upon arriving at my destination they are all inoperative in the down position. just my luck right??? I got a ccm off of ebay but cant' find the damn thing in the car. Under dash, under seats, under carpet to no avail. car has to live in the garage till i can get it it fixed. the other stuff doesn't bother me but the windows gotta work.... any help/insight would be appreciated.
Mike T