1999 Cabrio won't start after a repaired broken door lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Default 1999 Cabrio won't start after a repaired broken door lock

Hello,

I want some help regarding a Cabrio that I'm thinking of buying that won't start.

It's a 1999 A/T model that is about 2hrs away from me, so I want to bring all I can in order to diagnose it before I decide if I want to buy it.

Here is what I know:

The car was working/driving fine until the Fall of 2014, when it was parked for the Winter. During the following Winter, the owner decided to move it and broke the driver side door handle and key barrel. Parts were ordered at a VW dealership to replace the broken components, but the car never moved on its own power again. From what I understand, all electricals work and the engine cranks, but it never fires. Owner believes it's an issue with the anti-theft system or the crank sensor and assures me it's an easy fix (right), but I want you guys' opinions first. I'm not really willing to buy a car that's 2hrs away without getting it running.

I am willing, however, to spend a few bucks to troubleshoot it, and here is what the Internet has suggested so far:

-De-programmed key. Not sure I can get this fixed by myself other than to try and change the FOB's battery

-Comfort Control Module. This is another possible cause, but I can't find where it sits in the Cabrio (driver footwell?). I have two Cabrios in pick-a-part spots locally (a 1995 and a M/T 2001) that I can get the parts from. Is this a plug and play swap? Are all CCMs from a particular model interchangeable without any other requirements (keys, battery resets, etc)?

-Anti-theft starter lock relay. There are a few posts on TDIclub regarding this relay. It seems to be that this relay prevents the starter from kicking in at all, so this may or may not be a possible solution. I'm not even convinced Cabrio has this relay.

Thank you so much.