1995 CABRIO: Engine hesitated than cut off along with all power - won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Default 1995 CABRIO: Engine hesitated than cut off along with all power - won't start!

1995 VW Cabrio automatic with 140k miles. Car was driving rough when I bought it....felt like a fuel issue. Replaced fuel filter and it seemed to do the trick.

A few days later the oil pressure light started flashing after driving the car for 15 minutes even though full oil and no valve noise. Then the car drove fine the next few times I took it out for short trips.

Tonight I took it out and it was hesitating really bad like it was when I got it before doing the fuel pump. RPMS would be all over the place. I stop the car, restart it and I'm flooring the gas pedal and barely moving, then I turn on the air conditioning and the car flies like a bat out of hell all of a sudden and is driving great. I take a couple side streets and all of a sudden all the headlights turn off and engine cuts off.

The car will not start. It doesn't even attempt to turn over. All I get on the dash are the Engine, Oil, and Battery warning lights illuminated, which stay on even when I pull the key out of the ignition. Can't get them to turn off at all. There is also a clicking sound that is constant that seems to come from the dash. CD player won't turn on, nothing electrical in the car will work with the key in, on, etc. Battery is fully charged and new.

What does this sound like? I have a suspicion but want to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM

I'm certainly no VW expert, but i have had problems similar to this before. My problem was simply a loose battery terminal. However other problems stemed from bad relays, melted or shorting wires in the fuel delivery/ignition system. Speaking from my experience, it is a PAIN. i would trace your wires from your fuse block or relay system (the wiring diagrams in haynes or other similar publications work wonders.) if you havent already. Regardless, good luck with your situation.

also, did a buzzer sound when the oil pressure light came on?