02 Cabrio Driver side door lock won't turn with key

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Default 02 Cabrio Driver side door lock won't turn with key

Hello,

Today, my wife went out to her 2002 VW Cabrio and opened the dirver's side door with her key as she always does and accidentally activated the express windows down feature for the first time. Of course she was startled and asked me why they went down automatically when unlocking the driver side door and I explained to her that she must have kept the key in the 3 o'clock position for a second or two instructing the windows to go down. After claiming she didn't delay in returning the key position to the middle, she immediately went back to the car and noticed that the key wouldn't turn in the key cylinder. It will turn most of the way to the 11 and just barely to towards the 1 o'clock positions very easily essentially wiggling just a little in both directions but without unlocking or locking the car. She can lock it from inside by manually pressing down on the lock stub along the top side of the door but since the electric and remote unlock features have never worked on this car since purchasing it 2 years ago, we can't lock the car unless inside it or with the driver side window down. This obviously is a problem since the driver side door is the only one that can be locked or unlocked with the key.
I'm guessing that she somehow panicked when the windows started going down and somehow confused the system to seize the lock but as far as I know the computer isn't capable of seizing the lock cylinder. Either that or there coincidentally happens to be a mechanical problem with the key cylinder for the first time at the same time of her being confused with the auto windows down/up feature of this car. Is it possible that one of the springs inside the tumbler fell out or went bad rendering the cylinder effectively no longer keyed for my key?

She can drive it fine with no alarm going off and such but I'm afraid the car will be stolen if this isn't rectified and we don't have full coverage.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 AM

the do it yourself video is all good in suggesting me quite an apt way to go right with the door trouble as i am also a victim of the same problem but now is the time to say no anymore

Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Good video!