Go Back   Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts > VW MODELS > Volkswagen Beetle
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Rough idle on cold start up

Hi all:

VW New Beetle, 2001 1.8T, manual.

I have a rough idle for about 20-30 seconds cold. It often sounds like a consistent one cylinder miss with an intermittent rolling miss. I have the Ross Tech VAG 1551/1552 and pull the random misfire code (16684) and 16687, 16685 & 16686 individualcyl misfire codes.Although I have ocassionally seen these codes before, there were no drivability problems. This current situation started the other day with abad #3 coil over pack that failed creating real drivability problems; I traced back all wiring into the harness repairing any broken insulation (numerous), confirmed voltages on all coilover pack connectors and pulse from the ECU, replaced plugs and the #3 coil (confirmed bad). All of the problem was resolved except a cold start miss (never happened before). After the initial warm up period, 20-30 seconds, the car runs perfectly in all driving conditions and throws no codes. My O2 sensors are reading fine but I'm always suspicious of sensors over 80K mi (car has 98K). I hear no vacuum leaks and all hoses seem fine. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Uppi
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Volkswagen Forum!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TurboBuga4
Default RE: Rough idle on cold start up

Hey, I have the exact same car, and same year, but I have 60K miles.... I have never had that prob. but I can tell you that it might have something to do with the MAP and MAS sensor,..... I have had a my bug for 3 months now, and the only prob. I have had was that just on the thanksgiving, my turbo blew up.... but with the rough idle,.... you crank sensor, could be a lil off, and your MAS sensor could see that its colder than it really is, and telling the computer to give it more fuil. I have a stage 1 MAS, and a Stage 1 Turbo going in it today, and a new After market Exhaust system, and when I put the stage 1 MAS in, at first it had a rough idle, but that was because the computer was not used to seing such new numbers..... but look at the MAS, and MAP, ( Map is located on intercooler, just behind the right turn signal on the bumper, just incase you weren't sure). so just look at those two, and I hope that I have given you so idea of what to look for. good luck, and I hope you can fix the problem...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ericakasatch

whats up guys...i also just developed a rough idle but it seems to be more of a "miss" that continues up untill about 3,000-4,000 rpm..ive checked for vacuum leaks..etc...MAF sensor possibly? my car is a 2003 new beetle turbo "s"
Old 05-24-2009, 01:58 PM

i would also like to add...that this problem started after a really long idle ( about 15 minutes)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericakasatch View Post
i would also like to add...that this problem started after a really long idle ( about 15 minutes)
Hello Erica. I like a girl that can work on her car. Well, it could be a lot of things. If you want to clean out the MAF make sure you only use electronic cleaner or they make MAF cleaner. If you could explain the problem with a little more detail, maybe we can get it narrowed down.
ECS FPR
ECS Stage 1 Clutch Kit
Autotech Oil Cooler
Brembo Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Borla Cat Back
Magnaflow Cat

Last edited by racerx002; 05-25-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Because I felt like it. Got a problem?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Default ideling problem

i have a 2000 Beetle 2.0 when i start the car it idles fine but when i give it gas it doesn't take the gas and rpm does not go up untile it warms up then i have no problem any help there?
thank you
Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Default actualy not ideling problem

my beetle ideals fine but when i give it gas it won't take it. aftewr i posted the first thread my car started to work fine with no problem for couple of days and after driving for 30 min. i stopped and when i started it it acted up again for 30 sec. where it wouldn't take the gas then it was alright
Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Don't forget the possibility of a bad o2 sensor..ive read it in hypertech.com that bad o2 sensors can cause idling problems..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 11-03-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:46 PM

got mine fixed....it was a bad coil pack so i just bought a new set of the audi e type coil packs...runs like new!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to GuitarCrazyo
Default Rough idle on cold start up

Its sliiiggghhhtly ruff maark lol btu i would lose the lettering and just have the axe and spear isih lol and sheild but im sure a decent artist could do wonders with it
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Tags
18t, 2000, a4, audi, bug, cold, forums, gti, idle, misfire, rough, start, startup, volkswagen, volswagen, vw, wont