Periodic TICKING sound from engine, then dies while idling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 AM
Default Periodic TICKING sound from engine, then dies while idling.

2010 VW Beetle 2.5L 5cyl. ENG.-BPR ////TRANS.- KGR
I have been told that my problem with the high idling FOR ABOUT 10 SEC.,MIGHT be with the PCV Diaphragm.
I am about to put on the after market doorman model 917-064, in which you do not have to replace the entire intake to replace.

Now The problem with the car is that it seems to me to be idling too high when first cranking. To me it sounds terrible for about 10 sec. then the rpm's fall down and sounds fine.
Until today, i thought that was my only problem, then when i cranked it and let the idle speed drop down,after a few minutes all of a sudden i start to hear a distinctive TICKING noise for about 1 min, then back to sounding good, then back to TICKING,(NOT A REAL LOUD TICK, BUT LOUD ENOUGH THAT YOU HEAR THE CHANGE IN SOUND)
>>>>>> then all of a sudden, IT just goes dead on me! Then you can crank it right back up with no problem.
My daughter said it has stalled on her while ideling a few times, but never would do it with me until now, after i had already purchased the PCV.
Does this sound like the PCV or something worse?
The car runs great all the other times, has a whole lot of power! Fast! No skips at all!
All of that, plus i did not get any codes of any kind on my machine, so i was assuming everything was good, but now i know there is something wrong for sure!
I just bought the car,and got a great deal on it. Hope i am not about to find out why!
Anyway, any info you can throw at me to help keep me out of the shop, will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,---2010 VW Beetle 2.5L 5cyl. ENG.-BPR ////TRANS.- KGR

Old 06-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

It hard to say without seeing the vehicle. You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks, as you can tell i am no mechanic by any means, just a want to be, diy'er!

So did you mean that my INNOVA 3100 DTC CANOBD2, will not show anything?

I also just got a cheap version of the VAG KKL-COM for 409.1. Haven't tried it yet, but will it work?

Or are you saying only the pro shop will be able to diagnose it ?

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

No I mean a genuine VCDS cable as generic ones are hit and miss. You can try your VAG KKL-COM for 409.1 but that's old?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 AM

Just a very late update>>>>>> As for my ticking noise-------it stoped after i done an engine flush with a bottle of MotorMedic then got some Valvoline SynPower synthetic 5w-30 and a qt. of Lucas syn. oil stabilizer into the engine! Runs like a sewing machine now!
(that is other than the annoying HIGH idol at cold start!) Guess that's normal? Can't get anyone to say it's not?
Anyway, and as for going dead from time to time? Must have been the battery i had to replace. After i installed the new one, has not went dead on my daughter once, YET!
Now i just have the 2 o2 sensor codes still on that i will try to replace soon.
Hope maybe this will help someone that comes along with these same problems.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

What error codes are they?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 PM

UPDATE: The car went dead on my daughter 3 times today at red lights, but started right back up.

And the only code i have is P0171 / sys. too lean / bank 1

oh and by the way, every time i crank it or drive it, it runs great! very smooth!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 16555/000369/2809
EOBD II Error Code: P0171

Fault Location:
Fuel Trim, Bank 1 - System too Lean

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Excessive Fuel Consumption.

Intake/Exhaust System Leak(s).
Secondary air injection (AIR) system.
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor (G71).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).
Fuel pressure/pump.
Injector(s).
Activated Charcoal Filter Solenoid Valve 1 (N80).
Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection.

Possible Solutions:
Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Check Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).
Check Fuel Pressure Regulation.
Check Fuel Pump (G6).
Check Injectors.
Check Intake/Exhaust System for Leaks.
Check Secondary Air System for Leaks.
Check Vacuum Pipes for Leaks.
In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) does the trick. It's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
At idle Adaptive value > 5.02%.
At part load Adaptive value > 21%.

Special Notes:
Fuel Trim Information.

Tech Notes:
If the P0171 is combined with the P0174 code, it's very likely that the problem is caused by an intake leak. If there are no intake leaks, the next step is to replaced the air filter and clean the air flow meter. If the problem persist the front Oxygen (O2) sensor may need to be replaced.

When is the code detected?:
Fuel injection system does not operate properly.
The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too small. (The mixture ratio is too lean.)

Description:
With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.

In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the Engine Control Module (ECM) judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).

Old 03-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Thank you sir! ----I just wish I knew enough already to be able to check all those things. I can manage a lot of them but stuff like Check Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).
Check Fuel Pressure Regulation.
Check Fuel Pump (G6).
Check Injectors.?
I don't have anyway to check these things?
If i get that vag450 will it enable to check these once i fully understand how to use it? (i think that was one you mentioned earlier)

Also, I think it's idling too low? According to rpm gauge on the car it is at about 650rpm. Shouldn't it be at least 750? If so, is setting the idle something i could do or does it take a certain machine?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:35 AM

I finally have a
VAG COM 15.7 VAGCOM 15.7.0 VCDS HEX CAN USB Interface FOR VW AUDI Skoda Seat VAG 15.7 With ATMEGA162 + 16V8B + FT232RL

on the way so maybe i can learn how to use the thing and get some test done!

Quick Reply: Periodic TICKING sound from engine, then dies while idling.