oi

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Default oi

ok so i have a 1600 with a 1776 carb kit and i need to tune the carbs my car has turb starting even after 2 min oif warming up i know they are hard to start to begin with what would be the best way to do this

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Default RE: oi

I would start with the idle adjustment screw. It's on the left side of the carb on the older Solex carbs and has a spring on it. Find it and screw it all the way in then back it out about 2.5 turns. This should give you a good starting point. Start the car and SLOWLY turn the screw back in counting how many turns you're giving it. When the engine starts to sputter stop and move it back to the 2.5 mark. Do some math and figure out at how many turns from 0 you got the sputtering. From the 2.5 mark back the screw out and listen for the same scenario, the sputtering. Calculate how many turns that is and find the middle of the two sputtering adjustments and set the screw at that point. This will be your best rough estimate. Now it's time to see how it drives and make small adjustments.

There is also an adjustment screw in the throttle arm and if it's in or out too far it won't idle correctly.

If the car is having trouble driving after it's warmed up you need to put a timing light on it and make sure the distributor is advancing.