New '71 VW Keys & stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Default New '71 VW Keys & stuff

Hello all,
I just got home this past weekend with a great project Beetle for my daughter and me. Got the title and lots of extras, not to mention that the car is complete...but no keys were found by the owner. The car had been sitting since '91.
My question is can I contact VW for a new set of ignition and door keys, or is there some other source? Also, do I need to give the VIN for the car so I don't have to change out the ignition?

Next...
Best sources for new parts, like JC Whitney. Who's best and who do I avoid? BTW, I want to put the car as original - no custom or hot-rodding. I have a few VW magazines, but thought I'd get some feedback here first.

Things I'll need first:
- Carpet
- Replacement front turn signal lenses
- Rear vent trim (chrome "C")
- Front and Rear Hood latches w/ locks
- Interrior Rearview mirror
- Glove box
- Seat covers
- Front and rear bumpers and brackets
- Dash
- Replacement running boards
Thanks in advance.

- Jay Reid
McKinney, TX

Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Default RE: New '71 VW Keys & stuff

First off what is it? Super Beetle or Standard Beetle? As for locating parts, JC Whitney has some stuff but I found their website VERY difficult to navigate and their prices I think were comparable to other places. Look around locally there's bound to be somewhere that deals with bugs and for the online part check out Mid America Wotorworks. Their site is INCREDIBLY easy to navigate and find the part you're looking for and I've called them up and their staff is nice and know what they're talking about. The site is www.mamotorworks.com should get you about any parts you need.

As for getting keys... Good luck getting originals. You might be able to get a locksmith to figure it out and get you a copy for the door and the ignition. I'd just go ahead and replace them as they aren't incredibly expensive.

Anyways good luck with the project and if you need any help drop me a line. I just got my first as well. It's a '72 Super Beetle. She's running and hopefully I'll be driving her soon and doing the minor body work as I go along till I get her 100%. My interior isn't shabby at all so I'm not too worried about that at the moment.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks, Sanguinius. It's a '71 Regular Beetle. I'll most likely just replace the ignition/door locks - since I have read that the ignition tends to wearout anyway over use. I was lucky to find it complete, up in Oklahoma, for only $50.00. The owner just wanted to get rid of it. Hasn't been tagged since '91.
Anyway, the interior is in great shape except for the carpet. Just needs a few things here and there. Hope to get it running by May.
I've already been making a wish list of parts - JC Whitney I am familiar with. I found a California web site called jbug.com. or some such. Thanks for the help...and offer. Good luck on your's, too.

- Jay Reid
Cowboy Bug
McKinney, TX

Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Ok a locksmith CAN get the key made for you IF he's a good one. There's a guy out here that will do it for $10. He actually takes the lock cylinder apart, looks at each tumbler and get the number, then references it in his database and can recreate the key from that.

Unfortunately our cars don't have the numbers stamped outside the lock anywhere so they have to be disassembled to do this.

Hex if you only paid $50, you got a steal if it isn't rusted through and beat to h3!! or anything. Check out MAMotorworls they'll have nearly ANYTHING you could need for the car.

Replacing the cylinders is expensive. I have a total of 4 spares WITH keys just in case mine goes bad