Looking for information, please help

Old 10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Default Looking for information, please help

I'm new to the forum, and ignorant of most things VW.

I'm planning on building a light (1500 lbs?) diesel-electric car. A friend has a dune buggy, and has just purchased a Bug (I'm not sure what engine/vintage) in order to get the engine. I'm thinking that the transmission will work perfectly for my purposes, as the peak torque from my motor will only be about 54 ft-lbs, and he's offered to seel it cheap whenever we get around to working on the cars.

Now for the questions....

1) How much does the transaxle weigh? It's a 4-speed manual, though I am under the impression that that's pretty much standard.
2) Are there parts available to put inboard brake rotors between the output flange and the inner CV joint? I'm not afraid of fabbing mounts, etc., but it's easier if someone already sells the parts.
3) How hard is it to add a cable shifter? The trans will be up front, and could go either motor forward or back. Is there a simple way to keep the shift pattern the right way 'round, or should I just install a cable ****er?
4) What axles are available? I'm looking at about a 63" track, with around 40 mm negative offset, so I'll need some pretty long axles. Is there anything available, or will I need custom parts?

I'm a member of the SaturnFans forum (as I drive a Saturn), and the folks there are remarkably helpful and informative. Here's hoping that the same or better exists for the VW world!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Default RE: Looking for information, please help

Is it an IRS or Swing Axle, I am assuming that its IRS by what you posted, for brakes on the output shafts I think you will have to fab something up however, there are many disk brake kits that work with these setups. Check California Imports or Pacific Customs. You may find better luck with companies that supply Sand Rail parts for some of your parts, they will stock the cable shifter setups for these transmissions. Good luck with your project.