engine guard or cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Default engine guard or cover?

I have a 2000 diesel, 5 speed manual transmission (TDI) New Beetle and the plastic(viberglass?) cover (splash guard?) is cracked and falling from the under-carriage. I called the local dealer and they want a whopping $250 just for the cover (not including labor). Does anyone know where I can get this a lot less? Even aused one(junk yard)? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Default RE: engine guard or cover?

These things suck, tell you what. I drive a 5-speed 2000 bug w/o those stupid engine covers. I have to tell you the story. I let someone borrow my car. They apparently thought that they could drive up and "tap" one those cement parking logs with my tires. As you are probably thinking, the car is not that tall. They tore the engine covers off from underneath the car because they dragged the front end across that parking log. So, I took the car to some local mechanic who proceeded to PUT ON THE WRONG PARTS, charging me $300 to do it too. Apparently these things are three sheets of heavy duty plastic (or whatever they are made of) that are bolted together and then the whole thing is bolted to the car.
Two weeks later, I had broken every one of those bolts. I was so mad I tore the damn thing off and have never put it back on. As far as I am concerned, the shields are about as practical as a headlight wiper. You do have sensors in the engine that will tell you if you get the engine wet. For instance, if you drive through a really big puddle and splash around a lot, you may cause the sensor to get wet which will turn on a light in your dash. (I've done it.) Otherwise, drive slow over loose gravel, avoid big puddles, and take it easy. The engine covers just aren't worth the effort.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Default RE: engine guard or cover?

Thanks for the reply - and I agree! I've decided to keep duct-taping it (about once a month). The best price I could find for the plasctic cover was about $250, which is ridiculous.