Cold Air or Ram Air intake?

Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Default Cold Air or Ram Air intake?

Has anyone ever installed a cold air intake on a Beetle?

I finally spotted one, but really instead of being a cold air, i guess you would call it a ram air, because it is short and will be taking in the hot engine bay air instead of cold air but the air will have a straight short direct shot into the engine.
I have not even been able to find a true Cold Air intake for this car!
I really don't know why not, because this little car of my daughters will SCAT! It's definitely a little sports car! Really fun to drive!
I have read that the ram vs cold, they pan out about the same as far as mpg and hp goes.
Anyway with all of that said, do you guys think it's worth the money on this 2010 VW Beetle Conv, 2.5L engine, and if so if you happen to come across any cold air or ram air intakes please post the links for me!
Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 AM

I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share stuff I learned from the previous car I played around with.

Actually still have, but anyway.. it is a 2nd gen Dodge neon with a stock 2.0 motor, but I changed out the intake to a short ram. I have been running it this way for about 7 or 8 years with no problems. I had read that the cold air intake would really be better on a highly upgraded engine, or maybe when a turbo is upgraded.
I found that the short ram SEEMS to give a little more pep, and you get a bit more sound from the engine, especially when you really get on the gas starting pff

Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pablodragon
I'm new to the forum, but thought I would share stuff I learned from the previous car I played around with.

Actually still have, but anyway.. it is a 2nd gen Dodge neon with a stock 2.0 motor, but I changed out the intake to a short ram. I have been running it this way for about 7 or 8 years with no problems. I had read that the cold air intake would really be better on a highly upgraded engine, or maybe when a turbo is upgraded.
I found that the short ram SEEMS to give a little more pep, and you get a bit more sound from the engine, especially when you really get on the gas starting pff
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that!
I wanted to let you know and see what you think about what some professional mechanics on a Toyota Prius forum told me!
They told me to NOT put a after market cold air or any other kind of intake on any car other than a car you solely use for racing.
I was thinking about one on my daughters bug and one on the wife's Prius until they told me this. They said that especially the Prius was tuned for the oem intake and that by changing it would instead of increasing my power/mpg it would lesson it! They also said to not even use a K&N filter! They said to only use a paper Toyota filter because it filters better than the K&N does! They said that all the aftermarket co. like K&N have always refused to post actual proof/test that show they filter better because they don't.
Now, I would obviously think they know more about this topic than I do, BUT I know that the AM intake I put on my chevy s-10 truck totally increased the power and mpg! W/o a dual exhaust. So why would it not help on other cars?
Anyway, as far as my Prius goes, they have totally scared me off of the idea of installing an AM intake on it because it is a hybrid, so maybe they are right? As far as the Beetle goes, do you think I would have to change to a better exhaust before a AM intake would help it, or should i listen to the Prius pro's and just save my money, as they think it is a total waste of money that's feeding a billion dollar hoax!?