The clutch in my manual Volkswagen Beetle seems to make like a loud clapping noise.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Default The clutch in my manual Volkswagen Beetle seems to make like a loud clapping noise.

Whenever I start my car for the first time after a cold start. When I release my clutch it sounds like a clap. I've also noticed that my biting point is very close to the full release. Basically really high... I did some research on cracked pressure plates cuz I know coopers have that as a common problem. All this happened after this really bad fluid in my area. I didn't flood the car or anything I just kinda had to drive through alittle water.
I did my oil change, transmission oil change then again after 1000 miles. After I changed it for the first time I noticed my gears started to stick. Was alittle hard to shift. Then my second gear would grind if I accelerated to fast, I would have to double clutch and still do if I want to red line. I would also notice after driving for some time when I pressed the brake. While my foot hovered over the clutch. Both brake and clutch would kinda feel like it lost pressure. When I press the brake it feel like low then after alittle while in ideal it goes down more. The brake and clutch use the same reservoir. I noticed that my brake fluid was as green as grass so I did a flush/bleeding dot 3. (Did all this myself) in the process I actually got air in the system. Nothing really changed.
So anyone who's more experience please help. I can't remember how it felt when I first bought it but after the fluid changes it all just started showing up. All I remember is that it felt normal. I had gotten into an accident and after coming back I felt the clutch and man it felt like i was pushing dry. (Super weak/soft) I have driven a cooper and Evo with stronger clutches but man this clutch is so weak.

Last edited by Texasbest Carss; 02-05-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Making it more presentable
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 56
Size:  951 Bytes

What's the exact year and model?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 02-07-2016, 12:55 AM

Can't believe I didn't give those details, anyways.

2003 vw beetle 2.0L sohc