advice on tune-up after sitting almost 2 yrs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Default advice on tune-up after sitting almost 2 yrs

hey all-
so i bought a 69 beetle auto-stick that was about 70% restored about 4 years back with the intention of finishing the restore. i tinkered with her for a few months, then gave her to my brother to drive as he wrecked his car. surprise, surprise, he wrecked my bug baby too. so she sat in my garage for almost two years virtually forgotten. the past month i've been trying to put her back together and am just putting the finishing touches on the body work (i.e. see my problem about the rear deck lid in previous post).
i have changed the oil, and put a new battery in and turned her over a couple times, even took her for a quick jaunt about the 'hood and she sounds just fine. runs smooth- no backfiring. but i do realize that just sitting in a garage is almost the worst thing on a car, and a good quality tune-up is in order. i'm a lil' more advanced than an amateur and i bought a great book, "how to keep your air-cooled volkswagon alive" by john muir that lays out very simply anything i might not know how to do myself. my question is, besides the run-of-the-mill tune-up (distributor cap, points, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.) and a valve-adjustment, what should i do to her while i'm dirty, greasy, under the car, and irate already? being that it's an auto-stick i wonder if there is any preventative work i should do to keep that system up to par? that sort of thing. suggestions, suggestions, suggestions . . . ? thanx-