74 Standard Beetle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Default 74 Standard Beetle Questions

Hello all!
I recently purchased a 1974 Beetle, it needs a new drivers side floorpan, and for some reason gas is getting into the oil, but thats not by biggest concern

It appears that, for some reason, the floor pan in the drivers side is completely shot, but the frame is like new. Not so on the passenger side... right behind the rear tire there are 2 significant rust holes (significant as in 3-4" wide by 2" high". Now, my father looked at them and said that the holes are through the the top part of a support, but not the bottom, and it appears that the bottom of it it completely solid (no rust etc). The bottom part looks thicker as well. Will this be driveable as it is, and is there any way I can neutralize this rust and then reinforce it?

Also, there is a clunking sound coming from the rear wheel on the passengers side, is there any common issue there that can cause this?

We are going to take apart the carburetor to try to fix the gas getting into the oil problem (if it is indeed still doing that, the car sat unused for quite some time). In the meantime, the exhaust smells very very gas-ish. Is this common to these cars or is something else seriously buggered?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Default RE: 74 Standard Beetle Questions

I'd worry more about the gas in the oil than the frame right now. Since gas in oil will not only tend to destroy the internals of the engine, but also leave you at a VERY big risk of internal engine fire. First off you're running incredibly rich. That's dumping WAY to much gas into the cylinders. Then if that weren't bad enough, it's putting so much gas in that it's forcing fuel PAST the piston rings and into the oil. So you're likely looking at needing the rings replaced as well as the carb rebuilt/rejetted.

As for the frame, I'm not sure. You should be able to get the parts to weld in from midamerica motorworks.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 AM

Looking at it further, the fuel pump has some big issues (it was very wet...). Replacing it tomorrow. Do you think it will have any effect?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 AM

Probably not much effect on the gas getting into the engine but I could be wrong on that. Hopefully it is the fuel pump putting the gas in the oil. Then at least your rings shouldn't be too bad off.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 PM

yes that is the problem with the gas in your oil
put some grease in the bottom of the pump too