71 Shutsoff when i accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Default 71 Shutsoff when i accelerate

I have a 1971 superbeetle and i cant seem to figure out whats going on,i have cleaned the carb and put in new parts with a carb kit.....whenever i go to accelerate it strrugles and just shuts off i do not have any problems starting or it idleing its just when i go to accelerate it just shuts off any ideas on whats going on??

Forgot to add that i just also replaced the coil....the only thing that i can think that i might be is my cut off valve?! everything else seems fine and looks good....thanks for any help

Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Default RE: 71 Shutsoff when i accelerate

The spark plugs are good, fuel filter is clean with no blockage? How about the condition of the fuel pump?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Default RE: 71 Shutsoff when i accelerate

Sparks are new and fuel filter along with the fuel pump are brand new also...I think its just time for a new Carb i was messing with it and i found a couple problems with it

Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a trick. Ever heard of sea foam?? Red & white can. Pour some down the carb and hit the gas a little to keep it running cause it's gonna want to die since your "flooding it". When you have a little bit left, let idle and top off carb, pour the rest in the gas tank. The WHOLE TIME it's gonna smoke like hell, it's supposed to do that, it's cleaning out your engine, cat, emissions, etc. The car will run like hell afterwards!!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

what exactly did you find wrong with the carb? there are very few reasons to replace the carb. a rebuild kit will cure almost any thing in the carb. If the bushing at the lower butterfly(conected to the throttle arm) is leaking gas when you shut the car off, than it is also sucking air while the car is running.leaning out the fuel mixture and making the car run hot. that is a good reson to get a new one. but don't toss it, it's only junk if it is cracked. there are people who recondition these carbs to better than factory standards for half the price of a new carb.
does it shut down or bog down? does it only happen when your driving or does it die even when you rev it?
I know this carb inside and out. and can get you running right!
where is your timing set? do you have a manual?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

check your points and timing too. make sure that the distributor is advancing.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM

I have a 1971 1600cc VW beetle engine on my homemade dunebuggy and I had the same exact problem. So, I rebuilt the carburator and still had the same problem. Then I tried adjusting the carb a thousand times and still would die with just a little throttle. So, I starting thinking about it and it was the electric choke that was opening too much when you gave it gas. I tried adjusting the choke, but it still would not work good at all. It would just let too much air in with just a little throttle. So, I converted it to a manual choke by getting a choke cable off my lawn mower and I connected it to the side of the carburator opposite the choke with my own custom metal arm. Then I took the electric choke mechanism off and took out its insides and reinstalled it. I also did away with the Solex's idle arm thingy that looks like stairs because that doenst work like it should either. And after I got it all done, it runs like a beast. (They sell kits to convert them to manual if you do not want to do all of this work)