'69 Beetle gas problem

Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Unhappy '69 Beetle gas problem

The fuel pump puts out zero gas to the carburetor. I put the input hose into a glass of gas & removed the line going to the carburetor. Turning over the engine produced nothing. I removed the pump, totally dismantled it (a few times) but found nothing wrong with it. I even tried simulating its operation on the bench by putting the input into a glass of gas & pumping the plunger as fast as I could with a flat punch. No gas came out. I verified that the piston in the engine was going up & down with the pump removed. Any ideas?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

69 Beetle will be an air cooled engine with a mechanical fuel pump operated from the camshaft.. I think there is a lifter. Stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine over and see if it moves up and down. If it doesn't it could be broken. If it does then the problem is the fuel pump.

Are you mechanically minded? If you dismantle a mechanical fuel pump you can remove the inlet and outlet valves you must remember which one is which. If you swap them over it won't pump fuel to the carburettor it will pump it back to the tank. I don't think you can buy fuel pump repair kits as you used to many years ago, you hve to fit an new pump.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
69 Beetle will be an air cooled engine with a mechanical fuel pump operated from the camshaft.. I think there is a lifter. Stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine over and see if it moves up and down. If it doesn't it could be broken. If it does then the problem is the fuel pump.

Are you mechanically minded? If you dismantle a mechanical fuel pump you can remove the inlet and outlet valves you must remember which one is which. If you swap them over it won't pump fuel to the carburettor it will pump it back to the tank. I don't think you can buy fuel pump repair kits as you used to many years ago, you hve to fit an new pump.
As I stated in my previous post, the "piston" ( you call it a lifter) moves up & down. It sticks out of the hole about 1/2 inch so all my wife had to do is look at while I turned over the engine. As for "mechanically minded", I"ve been that way for over 70 years which came in handy for my careers as a 20 year radar technician and a 15 year Boeing Engineer.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Default '69 Beetle gas problem

I've now installed a new fuel pump and am getting fuel into the float bowl. The problem is that no fuel is getting into the main throat of the carburetor. I took the top off and the needle valve seems to be free. I removed the screw with the holes in it from between the bowl and the throat, put a 1/4" hose to the hole and blew on it. The gas in the bowl bubbled. What's my next step?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

It isn't easy to diagnose on the web as we can't see the vehicle. If the fuel pump is working you short get fuel half way up the float chamber. May sure the jets aren't blocked.

Have you changed the fuel filler cap as that has to be vented?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by thebunns
I've now installed a new fuel pump and am getting fuel into the float bowl. The problem is that no fuel is getting into the main throat of the carburetor. I took the top off and the needle valve seems to be free. I removed the screw with the holes in it from between the bowl and the throat, put a 1/4" hose to the hole and blew on it. The gas in the bowl bubbled. What's my next step?
Problem solved! I dismantled the carburetor, blew out every hole with Gunk & air and reassembled it. The car runs fine!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you solved your problem, the simple solutions are the first thing to try.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM

It isn't easy to diagnose on the web as we can't see the vehicle. If the fuel pump is working you short get fuel half way up the float chamber. May sure the jets aren't blocked.

I put the input hose into a glass of gas & removed the line going to the carburetor. Turning over the engine produced nothing. I removed the pump, totally dismantled

Old 08-22-2019, 12:40 PM

It isn't easy to diagnose on the web as we can't see the vehicle. I Dafont Showbox Adam4adam f the fuel pump is working you short get fuel half way up the float chamber. May sure the jets aren't blocked.

e you changed the fuel filler cap as that has to be vented