2001 New Beetle 2.0L Cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Default 2001 New Beetle 2.0L Cranks but wont start

2001 New Beetle 2.0L Cranks but wontstart or even act like its trying. Can not hear fuel pump prime up.The theft light in the cluster comes on with all the rest when key isturned on and goes off with the rest when cranking and stays off fromthen on. I don't smell gas after prolonged crankng as I might expectif the pump was working and it was a no/weak sprark problem.

Rancodes and got thefollowing:

P0725
P1780
P1850
P0725
P1780
P1850

Clearedthe codes and cranked it agian and got thefollowing:

P0725
P0303
P0301
P1780

Clearedagain and cranked, got the following:

P0725
P0303
P0201
P1780

Thenafter clearing again (each time I clear them it says codes cleared) Idid not crank the engine but left the key on and rechecked for codesand without doing anything at all and there were code still or againdepending how you look at it. I got thefollowing:

P0725
P1780
P1850

The only thing Ifeel sure of is that I do not need to send it to the dealer to havethe key and computer remarried. My best guess is that it needs a fuelpump or realy, an ecm, or some other electrical fix but I do not knowwhere to start as I have never had much call to work on VW anythingat my shop and I have never been strong at electrical in the firstplace. I have been out of the biz for a couple years now but stillhave my old shop and most of my tools but feel a little lost on thisone. Better still it's the wife's car and she thinks I can fixANYTHING easy as pie!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 2656
Size:  951 Bytes

VAG Error Code: 00529
EOBD II Error Code: P0725

Fault Location:
Engine RPM Input - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor/Engine speed (RPM) sensor (G28).
Engine control module (ECM)/Powertrain control module (PCM)/Transmission control module (TCM) (J217).

EOBD II Error Code: P1780

Fault Location:
Engine Control Module (ECM)/Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217) Electrical Connection

Possible Cause:
Transmission control module (TCM) (J217) trouble code(s) stored.
Wiring.
Transmission fault.

VAG Error Code: 18258
EOBD II Error Code: P1850

Fault Location:
Missing Information Powertrain Data Bus - Missing Message from Engine Control Module (ECM)

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) ON.
Warning light on.

Blown fuse for control module
Wiring Harness issue.
Failed control module.

Possible Solutions:
Inspect wiring and terminals for CAN BUS between control modules.

Special Notes:
As per TSB 01-07-54, do not replace the Engine control module (ECM) for this DTC. Please see TSB for complete details.

VAG Error Code: 16687

EOBD II Error Code: P0303

Fault Location:
Cylinder 3 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine control module (ECM).

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

VAG Error Code: 16685

EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

VAG Error Code: 16585

EOBD II Error Code: P0201

Fault Location:
Injector 1 (N30) - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) Non Emission Fault - No warning light.
Wiring.
Injector.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Default Update

It was suggested that the P0725 code is for an open or shorted engine speed (rpm/crank) sensor. Without this sensor the fuel injectors will not operate so this is likely to be the cause of the no-start. And with this code it could be the sensor or a fault in the wiring. The sensor is located on the front of the engine near the oil filter. It has 3 wires coming from it and is held in by a single bolt.

The resistance specifications for the sensor are:

Pin 2&3 480-1000 ohms
Pin 1&2 open
Pin 1&3 open

So I pulled the sensor to check the pins. Not sure I'm doing it correctly but I set my cheap meter (as I said I'm super weak at electrical) and set it to 2000k ohms and probed pin 2 & 3 and got a value of 001 and then set it at 200k and checked it again and got 00.9 the 1&2 and 1&3 did not make the meter change at all so I'm guessing that wound be open? So I think you may be right in that the sensor is no good because of the pin 2&3 reading being off. Unless I tested it wrong.

Please advise

Would that being bad cause the 15 camp fuse at 28 on the dash fuse panel (fuel pump (FP) ) to be dead all the time as I showed it the fuse panel picture?

I would just throw a new one on it but they want 110 dollars for it at my parts store and as you know they are now returnable. Where are the 45 dollar ones that I have seen ppl are talking about?

Thanks

Not sure what info you wanted in my signature, but 2001 New Beetle 2.0 gas motor #AVH 005506#

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

A P0725 can be Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor or Engine speed (RPM) sensor (G28).

We don't have the AVH engine code in the UK thats the US market only so I can't find any useful spec on the engine speed sensor, where did you find that spec from?

You need to go through all items in that error code list then clear the errors and try it again.

Do you have any spark at the spark plugs and is any fuel getting in?

Now your Beetle could have a 109 relay in the fuse/relay box these do give trouble this is the main power feed to the ecu. The engine will crank all day but it won't start. If you have one then you need to carry a spare in the car just in case.

Just add 2001 New Beetle 2.0 gas motor AVH to your signature.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM

I do not know where to look for the fuse/relay box but as soon as I find it I will check it out as yu have said. I think the ecu is not powering the fuel pump realay as I have no power to the fuel pump fuse and there is no power to any of the fuses that are powered through the relay as best I can tell. I will post more info on that asap.