New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here--Desperately Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Default New Here--Desperately Need Advice

Hi all. I have a 2010 VW Tiguan FWD with about 90,000 miles. I'm at my wits end, and I don't know what to do, so I'm desperately seeking advice.

A few years back I had a wreck in the snow (6 inches of unplowed snow on the roads going downhill and couldn't stop). It wrecked the front end and the damage was going to cost about $5,000-6,000 or more to fix estimated. Couldn't afford it, but the car worked just fine. Then, because of the wreck, the hood was not securely fastened, and the hood flew up and shattered my windshield going 75 miles an hour on the highway. Got the windshield replaced. Tied down the hood. Found out in the spring that my drainage tube from the sunroof got knocked with the hood flying up, so now my car drips rainwater on the inside passenger side when it rains hard enough to soak through the top material. Then my intake manifold sensor went out, so my car randomly dies. Found out that was covered under warranty from VW. Took it into the dealership, but they couldn't reach it because of the damage in the front, so the car continues to die randomly. Now, the check engine light is blinking and the engine is misfiring and the vehicle shaking. Had the codes pulled, and it looks like the Throttle Body needs to be replaced. So now the car is sitting in my drive way inoperable.

I have had Volkswagens for the last decade, 3 Jettas and 1 Tiguan, and love them, but I'm fed up with how expensive and difficult everything is. I can't afford it. I'm struggling for money right now. So, my question to you guys is what do I do?

Should I sell the car to one of the services that comes and picks it up? I may have found one that will offer me around $2,500, but the said "up to" and will give me a final offer at the time of inspection (currently Wednesday). Should I try to sell it on Craigslist or Ebay as is? Should I try to sell parts out of the vehicle myself? And, if so what's the best way to do that, and how big of a market is there for that? Are there big ticket items that will get me some money out of my vehicle? (The vehicle also has after-market Mercedes DVD players on the headrests for the backseat.) I'm located in a few minutes outside of Denver, Colorado, and title is clear with no lien, FYI.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. It's been a difficult time lately, and I'd really like to be able to salvage close to $4,000 out of the vehicle, if at all possible.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 17
Size:  951 Bytes

That's not a good story. Which engine is fitted to this 2010 Tiguan?

What error codes are you getting?

Its strange the bonnet/hood flew up didn't the secondary catch work?

It depends if you still like this vehicle whether to fix it or break it.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/