New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Oil Leak, What can I expect...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Default Bad Oil Leak, What can I expect...

Hey all, new poster. So I'll get right to it.

Bought a 2013 VW Passat 2.5 from Carmax in May, about 53k miles (it was a rental in its previous life), seemed fairly well kept. Fast forward to beginning of August and 6,500 miles later, I smell oil burning and its being pointed out wherever I go that I'm leaking oil. Its terribly obvious and I would rather not touch it and let the dealership handle it. So after taking it in to carmax since I have extended warranty etc, they determined its coming from near timing chain/underneath and moderately leakage. A month before purchasing the car, work was apparently done to fix an oil leak, they said. Long story short, they advise pulling the motor to properly treat the issue. We're arranging to have VW dealership do the work and it will be covered regardless.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Has anyone else had to do this with their newer model VW's, and what should I look out for or expect to happen? Would/should they replace the motor? The car has been great otherwise and assuming the work is sufficient and I get the car I thought I bought, I'll be happy. Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 61
Size:  951 Bytes

You have bought the extended warranty to let then sort this problem. What's the mileage as the normal 3 year VW warranty should cover this.

Please add your car spec to your signature?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Welcome to the forum.

You have bought the extended warranty to let then sort this problem. What's the mileage as the normal 3 year VW warranty should cover this.

Please add your car spec to your signature?
I'm a forum noob, I'll figure out signature later. Ad for warranty, the power train is supposedly covered to 60k, I brought it in at 60,400 if you can believe it but carmax as acknowledged my extended warranty through them and the fact that work was done that didn't resolve the issue before I purchased the car, so vs is working with us too. I guess my only worry is what happens if they do or don't replace the motor? Should I worry about the car post-rebuikd if they don't replace it? Does anything change if they DO replace it? I was curious if anyone had to do this with their newer cars.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

If you click on User CP on the left on the blue bar you can click on Edit Signature on the left and add your car spec. Then click on the Preview Signature button to make sure it looks ok. When you happy just click the Save Signature button then it will show in every post you make.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 AM

Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 62
Size:  951 Bytes

Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 PM

UPDATE for the thread 9/2/15

So VW dealership has now had the car for about a week and helped us line up a Hyundai rental through our insurance. The week has passed and we returned the rental, VW decided to help us out since they're no closer to fixing the passat, and is giving us a 2015 Jetta SE TSI while they tend to the passat. They still haven't figured out if it's the top or bottom half of the engine that's causing the issue. Whatever it is, the leak is substantial. Due to the fact that they did work in May prior to us buying at Carmax (freeze plugs being a recurring issue that they keep notating as was part of the initial fix) and it was within power train warranty, they are still acknowledging responsibility and working with us, which I really appreciated.

Starting to like VW a lot more through this process The car has been great otherwise, I was just hesitant to make any mods or add anything to it until this leak issue was resolved. I've only ever had 'american' trucks in my lifetime, sierra/silverado, tahoe's etc. While easier to work on for me personally, I'm just enjoying a car a lot more than I thought I would.