Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Renewing My Vinyl Seat material, Cant believe it worked

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Default Renewing My Vinyl Seat material, Cant believe it worked

I really like my Cabrio. It has had some interesting problems, most created by the PO, what can I say.

I want to let you know what I did to make the seats like new again. Why did I need to do this? My seats always looked like new, no rips. One day I left the top down and it rained in the Cabrio. The front seats responded by having cracks shown on a couple of places. It didnt' look very good after that.

Now I have been a supporter of the Plasti Dip spray ( DipYourCar [dot] Com). I have read a lot of forums about this product and one used it on his convertible top. His reports said he uses the top like always, raising it and lowering it. There has not been any wear or places where the PlastiDip has lifted from the material.

I contemplated getting seat covers but they never look right, are expensive and a pain to clean so I started thinking about the possibility of using PlastiDip to resurface the seat. This year I finally did it. I figured if the PlastiDip failed, I could always put a cover over it.

I really searched to match the color of the OEM vinyl color and I found an exact match. I ordered the PlastiDip in the Rattle Can and waited for a warm day. When that day came I taped off where I would not be applying the PlastiDip, shook it up and set off to resurface the seat upolstery.

I had a couple of areas where the vinyl separated, about 2 to 3 inche slits, but the cloth underneath was still holding it all together. This is important for this job. I first sprayed those areas where the vinyl separated, saturated the cloth making sure the PlastiDip was getting contact under the vinyl and covering the cloth.I did this several times before I began to spray the rest of the seat covering. I know the thicker you can make the PlastiDip coating, the better, and you do that with multiple coats. The seams where the cover is either stitched or has what looks like stitching, began to collect the spray or puddle, don't worry about that, after the Dip drys, the stitching will be visible again. Concentrait on applying uniform coats and continue to hit the areas where the vinyl has separated.

Once you feel the coating has enough layers, let it dry. You can carefully remove the tape after about 10 minutes then let the dip cure. They say you can touch it after an hour but since you will be sitting on it, give it at least a day or more.

RESULT: The seat looks new, the area where the vinyl had separated is still visible but it is sealed and strong. The seat feels like a new piece of vinyl, like it is harder when you sit on it because new vinyl has to stretch out a bit.

And because this is a fresh coating, you won't slide as easily as you did on the old vinyl so try to not slide too heavily over the vinyl for a while till it is cured fully.

I have been driving the Cabrio off and on now and the seat looks fricken good. I impressed myself when I looked at it the first time and with that new feeling, it is just cool. I have not had any material separate from the seat vinyl and I keep looking for any problems, happily, none yet.

This was a pretty easy, certainly a cheap way to restore the seat vinyl to almost new looking condition.
If anyone gives this a try, let us know how it turns out.

( I am not connected with the seller or manufacturer of PlastiDip. I receive no revenue for talking about this product. Your results may vary, batteries not included. )

Last edited by VW-Sprite; 06-03-2015 at 11:14 PM.