General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensor Replaced, Check Engine Light won't go out

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Default Oxygen Sensor Replaced, Check Engine Light won't go out

I have a 2002 GTI 1.8T and I had my car in the shop for some body work (hit and run while my car was parked). My check engine light came on so they gave me the diagnostic that it was the front right oxygen sensor. I had my mechanic replace it for me (beats paying over $250 to have it replaced at the dealer) and clear the code.Well, the check engine light comes back on, and it's the same P0130 oxygen sensor code. I have been told from two different sources that the car will eventually clear the light, only after operating under different driving conditions for approximately 2 weeks (giving the computer enough time to collect data that says the o2 sensor is working correctly). Anyone know if this is true? I really want that light to go away.Thanks,
J

Old 12-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Oxygen Sensor Replaced, Check Engine Light won't go out

It took 2 days.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:22 PM

Same problem here with a 2002 Beetle. Except my engine light was for aengine coil. I had 3 of them installed and the light would go off for about a day, then it would come back on. Everytime the light came on, it always gave the same code. This went on for about 6 weeks. The dealer (at their expense) finallyinstalled a new computer in my car. The light has not been back on since. Didn't get a refund for the 2 extra coils I purchased either.

Good Luck[&:]
02 BlueBeetle

Old 01-02-2007, 10:36 PM

I'm not as familar with vw's with flashing the computer but for most cars there is a sequence of events you do such as hitting the brake 20 times while car is just started up to flash a computer. Then gives a computer a new slate. I'm not sure what that is for VW but i'm sure that they have a way.........

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 PM

This involves your front Volkswagen oxygen sensor on the driver's side. This code indicates the engine air fuel ratio is not being adjusted by the oxygen sensor signal or the ECM as expected to do so, or not adjusted as often as expected to do so once the engine is warmed or under normal engine use that is why they told that it will take two weeks to give the computer enought time to take data . You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.

A code P0130 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: [ul][*]The oxygen sensor is faulty[*]The wiring to the sensor is broken / frayed[*]There is an exhaust leak[/ul]The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If the code comes back, the problem is more than likely the front driver's side oxygen sensor. You will likely wind up replacing it but you should also consider these possible solutions: [ul][*]Check and fix any exhaust leaks[*]Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)[*]Check the frequency and amplitude of the oxygen sensor (advanced)[*]Check for a deteriorating / contaminated oxygen sensor, replace if necessary[*]Check for inlet air leaks[*]Check the MAF sensor for proper operation[/ul]Hope this helps... Good luck!!!